View Single Post
Old 10-18-2006, 03:09 PM   #15
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Training for Crisis?

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote:
Yes - thats the sort of crisis i'm posting about. a determined committed no restrictions type of attack. That has started so one cannot trot out the arguments about a good aikidoka being able to talk his way out of the fight or not be their in the first instance.
Valid though they are, a situation this easily avoided would for me not constitute a crisis.
I agree that regular practice can teach some effectiveness in this crisis type situation but I think that there are other methods that more specifically address such things.
My point in beginning this discussion was to hone in on methods of aiki training that involve precisely the sense of stress to overcome, which the video illustrates, but with the aiki that it, to my eye, it does not illustrate.

One of the encounters, as I noted above does seem to show more of an aiki aspect (and a better example of appleid kicking in aikido technique that meshes well with the typical openings I have been taught and typically show in the course of performing technique (and one of the more successful defenses shown, too, to my way of thinking.)

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote:
I believe that there are practical training methods that specifically focus on these types of attacks which for some is a more effective way of learning.
If the video be any example, though, it is not, largely, training in methods of aiki, however.

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote:
If your training incorporates these then thats great, but IMO much of 'regular' aikido training does not target this level of attack and has a far broader set of deliverables.
I think you are right here. At this level one principle may be "No one escapes battle unscathed", so chooose the cut you wish to take, and ensure it is the last that you will have to.

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote:
Of course in focussing on just this type of attack many of the other highly important benefits of Aikido may be lost.
On this I also agree, as the provocation of typical "instinctive" responses indicates. What I am looking for are methods to raise the perceived stress and intensity of the encounter, so as to be able to eventually recognize and move past that aspect of the initimidation or fear of the attack in accepting it with aiki and then dealing with what ever technique is presented.

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote:
At the end of the day we have to be realistic in our expectation of what Aikido can and can't deliver.
So what is real in that context? Sacrificing the aiki by a general descent to melee, which the video fairly represents, is I think generally counterproductive of the purpose, since it reinforces aspects of aggression that aikido does not rely upon for its psychological underpinning. Bringing that same intensity in another setting is not per se impossible or impractical, it seems to me, in a manner that preserves the aiki approach to the problem.

The assymetry of the weapon is good, but the knife is too fast and close, I would think, for a student jumping off a good kihon foundation. Shinai tachi dori, perhaps, with some defined attacks, progressing to jiyuwaza ? I have done these in the past, but not with this intent in the training.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.