View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014, 06:58 AM   #17
lbb
United_States
Re: How can we get a dojo in town?

Quote:
Randy Karst wrote: View Post
Thank you all. I appreciate the encouragement. One of my problems is going to be finding time to set everything up. I already run my own business . . . a couple in fact, and I am aware of what a start up takes in both time and money. I am willing to do what I can with limited time. That is why I would love some help. I have never had a problem with anyone making money for the services they offer. That is how I can afford classes! I would just like to have a class I can go to.
Hmm. Well, they say that if you like to go out to bars, that's not a great reason (or preparation) for owning a bar, and that if you like to go out to restaurants (or cook at home) that's not a great reason or preparation for owning a restaurant. I apologize for being Debbie Downer, but this may also be true with trying to start a dojo because you want a class to go to. You could create an awesome dojo...but not get what YOU want. Maybe you should be a little bit selfish, know what I mean? Focus on what you want for yourself. Maybe there's a way to pull together the resources for that, without getting completely immersed in starting a dojo.

At the same time, I think we all need to do our part to "create the dojo". In a large, thriving dojo, a new member's part may be small; in a small dojo, it's got to be larger. For you, it'll be a large task no matter what you do. In your position, if you're right in your assessment that your local area can support a dojo, I think maybe I'd try to put something together on a shoestring and see how it worked. Find a practice space that you can use or rent part-time for not much money, find other individuals who will agree to be part of the training and share the cost for a few months, establish your practice, and then see where you're at after a few months. Is this something you can sustain? Are you ready to reach out and take on new students? Is your space adequate, and can you afford it on an ongoing basis? Maybe most importantly, are the people in your startup group the right ones to "create the dojo"? Do they feel that sense of responsibility and ownership? Without that, I don't think it can happen.