View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #10
Neal Earhart

Dojo: New York Aikikai / Aikido of Westchester
United_States
Re: Osteoarthritis: Brace users

I have very arthritic knees...4 arthroscopic procedures since 2000...cartilage is long gone. I no longer do seiza/suwariwaza.

Like Peter, I've been getting the viscous synthetic fluid with HA injections in my knees. Although, I am not sure how much of of my knees feeling better after the injections can be attributed to the "placebo effect" versus actual therapeutic results.

I use FLA Orthopedics "Pro-Lite" knitted pullovers for my knees. They provide good compression/support. I've found that some of the more elaborate braces (with hard parts like stays and joints, etc.) are very uncomfortable during practice.

I also have been using Voltaren gel when my knees hurt. It's a topical NSAID (diclofenac sodium gel, 1%). It may be good for people whose stomachs aren't fond of the oral medication.

What I believe, is one of the best things you can do for arthritic knees is exercise to build and maintain muscle strength in the legs. I have a set of exercises from PT and I go the gym regularly (leg press, leg curl, bicycle/elliptical).