View Single Post
Old 01-21-2002, 01:11 AM   #28
gilgul1
Dojo: Aikido Center
Boxing

Hello everybody.
I have gotten many different viewpoints on this subject. One person sees Aikido training as self-defense training; he wants to be able to hold his own in a brawl.
Myself, I would run away before risking injury to myself or another. I would give away my money and my car before trying to kotegaish some hijacker. My Sensei says that Aikido is slower than many other styles, and that the main thing that will serve one in such a situation is a "sense". This "sense", he explained, is knowing when an attack will come; I interpret it as several internal mechanisms that we train: ma'ai was mentioned in the thread, upright posture, that "weighted" feeling you have when you've executed a technique correctly, and that "moment of Aiki" before the technique begins when the attack begins and first contact is made. These and other internal trainings are the sine qua non of Aikido. Many of the techniques would be alkward and downright ineffective without these disciplines, they wouln't even work on the mat! Sensei also demonstrates sometimes what would happen in a committed attack--he steps off the line and strikes once, and it's over. He's not one to mince works or actions.

Good thread!