View Single Post
Old 04-12-2008, 08:35 PM   #74
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States
Re: The Topic I never Wanted To Post

If I missed the OP point, I humbly appologize.

Quote:
Dan Austin wrote: View Post
Hi Rob,Based on what evidence...?
I have to say I wasn't prepared for that. I tried that writing style of making the point, providing an example, and then wrapping up. It appears you responded to my post without reading all of it it first and then going back. I was making a simple real world example of what I might use martial arts for in real life. I don't get attacked in cages and no one has tried ground and pound on me in stop and shop or the bank. Kevin at least trains people whose job it is to be fighting people who I suppose may happen to run out of ammo at the same time the enemy does - but aren't we getting to LOW percentages here in terms of when this is really going to happen? I think it makes a lot more sense for women in high school and colleges to learn ground fighting because I can see a lot more situations where some bad guy might try to lay on top of them in a fight. I can even see it as valuable for school yard scuffles. Anyway. I certainly agree that training high percentage moves is a great idea. My idea is to give me the highest percentage chance of surviving and keeping someone from suing me and taking my house. I honeslty have not seen too many real life situations where someone was sprawling to defend the double leg take down. I think it is a great move. When does it happen? Seems like only if I show up to someone's MMA dojo.

Quote:
It sounds like you are projecting what "those evil MMA guys" are capable of. Despite the fact that you may see a lot of tattoed shaven-headed guys in MMA, there is no shortage of doctors and other white collar folks you would likely find more respectable, along with serious intellectuals who study these arts. Hell, my doctor has a purple belt in BJJ. There are plenty of schools who take the MMA syllabus and training and train it for street use. Aikidoka do not have a lock on thinking about what to do in real confrontations outside of sport rules! In actual fact by training against unrealistic attacks most of the time, it's probably too much theorizing and not enough doing.
I am not really sure where you got this impression. I train in MMA myself and I'm a white collar person with an unshaven head and I think tatooes look great on other people but on me - not so much. No one is saying that aikido have a lock on thinking. But we do have SOME people in aikido who are capable of thinking and we for some reason still train aikido. Yes, we are all mostly insane. We spend years practice the same thing over and over and expect different results - which I believe is a tell tale sign of insanity. But in my personal insanity, I happen to have a fairly reasonable and logical - and apparently - different opinion of what high percentage criteria to value. It doesn't mean I hate the evil MMA folks or that aikido people are smarter. It just means that aikido people are not necessarily dumber.

Maybe we just value different things. The MMA I'm training these days depends on a lot less doing and a lot more being super relaxed and almost non-doing so physical listening is possible. It's terriblly mentally exhausting getting rid of tension under increasing pressure. I think aikido training CAN BE fantastic help in this if you have some different basics than are generally taught in aikido class, but like Roy Dean basically says, we'll just have to see about how the internal training power bridges the gaps.

Quote:
OK you just got done describing a bar scenario where the MMA knuckleheads were stupidly duking it out while you cleverly went home, then you say you feel like you're always being talked down to by MMA guys, and here you say you want the ability to destroy those evil arrogant bastards - and then not hurt them. Man, you've got some issues. Seriously. This is supposed to the art of peace and love, not the art of low self-esteem fantasies. You sound like a guy who got sand kicked in his face and is exorcising childhood demons by envisioning thrashing shaven-headed tattoed MMA losers like Steven Seagal going through Jamaicans. No offence but there is some really emotionally immature psychology at work here. We're talking about upping the odds of protecting yourself and your loved ones, not walking around with comic book powers that we magnanimously keep from using on jerkoffs. You and the guy who posted about machetes are really making me wonder about the psychology that may pervade the Aiki-sphere. MMA is not the enemy. Repeat that many times.
1) I got done describing the only scenario I can realistically imagine I'll be in a real confrontation in my daily life.

2) I'll want what I want. I'm suprised anyone who is doing martial arts wouldn't want what I described, but it takes all kinds. So you don't want such abilities? I'm not saying I'll achieve them. But heck I think I described Dan Harden fairly well. I want to have his ability. Heck I want to surpass his ability. I work towards that by working out wih him whenever I can - like just today. As far as having comic book level abilities, I wouldn't mind having them either! If I could turn invisible and or fly that would be awesome. If you have no fantasy life as an adult that most likely speaks to issues as well. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't want to be like that myself. I see a lot of martial artists trying so hard to keep it "real". Good luck with that.

Rob

Last edited by rob_liberti : 04-12-2008 at 08:48 PM.