View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008, 12:45 PM   #60
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: The Topic I never Wanted To Post

Ah, I see...

On the one hand you want to invalidate it because of it's nature as a technique...and if that technique is then found, you want to invalidate it because of training method. Just currious...what is the next hoop to jump through? If say, I can show you where the training method also meets your requirements?

Best,
Ron (though I do agree on the training method differences...)

Quote:
Dan Austin wrote: View Post
Hi Ron,

It's not a credible comparison because in the SBGi curriculum and in MMA securing that specific dominant tie-up position is a big part of the whole clinch game. It's like saying that because you sometimes throw an atemi with the right hand, Aikido uses a right cross like a boxer does. Perhaps another analogy is that idea that something like a position in BJJ is not just a technique, there is a whole strategy and array of counters and recounters pertinant to that position, trained live, to use an overused but good SBGi term. A big part of Randy Couture's game that he brought to the SBGi is based around that underhook tie-up. It's also a much higher percentage thing than getting your ikkynos, nikkyos, and xxkyos, and doesn't belong in the same category for that reason alone. The ratio of underhook usage to standing jointlock attempt in SBGi is probably 10,000 to 1, whereas in Aikido it's probably the reverse. Rough numbers, but in that aspect as well it's in no way comparable.

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)