View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 10:29 AM   #15
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: Ki is Kindness.

Quote:
Charles David Henderson wrote: View Post
Well, Ueshiba didn't say that. He said Takeda opened his eyes to true budo, implying that it was the "real deal." As to whether one could do stuff the other couldn't -- (a) I don't know what you're referring to, really, and (b) my point was to focus on some of rather extraordinary things both men were supposed to have been able to do.

Ueshiba reportedly had some early training in buddhism, and there are certainly "taoist" concepts that are reflected in some of what he said. But for the majority of his adult life, he adhered to an esoteric Shinto sect. Many of his prominent students acknowledged they didn't understand his lectures, because they were couched in these terms.

If you are interested in this topic, a lot has been written here and elsewhere about it.

And, thus hence, my observation. Because he was an adherent of a different religion than these, it's "problematic" to declare that one is following his "path," especially since, to him, aikido was an expression of his religious reality, when most of us have but a vague understanding of that reality.

Harmonics -- ever seen the famous video of the suspension bridge across the Puget Sound in Washington State harmonizing with a storm? It breaks itself apart, taking some cars with it. Harmony can mean "peace," but it equally can mean destruction. To me, "good" is a separate but necessary issue.

I have to agree with Satre on this -- our freedom, and responsibility for our freedom, are inescapable. It might be nice to live in a world where the choice to cultivate personal prowesss and the choice to be "good" were one and the same.

Fact is, most folks who are really peices of work have lives that reflect that in one way or another. But in the meanwhile, I don't think it's plausible to suggest they are incapable of accessing the physical side of budo simply because their hearts are impure. I'm not even certain it raises their cholesterol.

Certainly; take care of yourself.
Hi David,
Thanks for your view. Nice ending! G.