View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 05:03 PM   #9
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: Aikido Uniform: Part tradition; part discipline -

Quote:
Omar Harris wrote: View Post
Hello everyone: Sometimes in Aikido a person can accept something by the sole explanation of tradition and discipline. And there is nothing wrong with it

The issue is that this person I know start teaching Aikido but sometimes he goes dressed as a Ninja; sometimes he wears dogi of such colourful designs!!! Now a good number of his young students are wearing whatever they want to practice. I talk to him trying to make my point on tradition and discipline. He took it well but still wears what he wants.

I talked to him so I feel I did what I had to do. Now, I asked you how do you go about this issue.

Would love to learn your input.

Thanks.

Omar
Hi Omar,
If this instructor is teaching kids and he wants to create a funny /happy atmosphere why doesnt he take his dress code to the extreme and dress up as Batman/Spiderman or some comic book hero?I am sure this would go down a treat.
One of the major problems I have with some Martial Arts groups/guys is the fact that the go around looking like Advertising Billboards.Will not be long before some guys rent out the soles of their feet to McDonalds/Burger King .Call me old and boring but keep the outfit plain and simple.
How you resolve it when the walking fashion plate disaster is the instructor is a tough one.