View Single Post
Old 03-28-2002, 07:18 PM   #4
Chuck.Gordon
United_States
Re: Aikido in America

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Baker
(I guess my first teacher was very generous to relating his learning of different styles of training to his interest in various fighting styles?
Interesting. What was his rank in Aikido?
What style and which shihan?
(this will give us all perspective as to your point of view)

Another minor point. People have fun doing aikido, as in, they laugh, they bounce, they come back for more with a joyful childish smile?
[/quote]

Seen that in Judo, Jujutsu, and Kung Fu classes. Depends on the teacher, mostly.
Gendai (modern) budo sometimes has an extremely repressive, punitive attitude which appears to be a holdover from American perceptions of military discipine and the personal needs of instructors for power and domination. Not to say koryu is free of it or gendai is controlled by it... exceptions abound, thank goodness.

At least in my classes, seminars, and experiences ... compared to the pain and torture of beating each other senseless in karate? Karate always left bruised bones, muscles, spirit, while aikido was tiring but extremely rare in injuries interfering in going to work hurt/injured?
[/quote]

I have never been severely hurt in any striking arts class. Bruised, contused, needed ice, but not hurt. On the other hand, I have crawled off the aikido mat at least twice and gone for Xrays. Experiences DO vary from yours.

It also opens the Pandora's Box to just how applicable is Aikido to blending and including other MA within its teachings ... that could get a bit touchy as the very mindset for Aikido was not to delve into the dark areas of selfish means? Still, Aikido and Tai Chi could be two of the secret arts brought to the masses that have face value, and hidden values also.
[/quote]

Ah, here, we agree. I found Aikido to be a macro-art which encompassed and blended with many things.
There is always a dark area of selfish means.
Do yourself a favor and delve into it.. kick at the darkness til it bleeds daylight (by another Bruce- Cockburn).
It's all in the attitude. Fear of darkness is fear of the Self.

Do yourself a favor and learn about the legends and stories of the Six Nations of New York. It is a beginning point, but it does have many stories as old as the Japanese legends ... some very clear on how to live on Turtle Island/North America. Some very close to what O'Sensei talks about.
[/quote]

Bruce, Peter has lived in Japan for years, has a Japanese wife, and this is his master's thesis. His "major" was religion and philosophy. He could relate the tales to YOU in Nihongo.
Peter is like a brother to me, I know him well. I don't defend him, he's MORE than able to do that himself. I just don't think you GOT IT, and I believe you are making assumptions that you cannot see or understand, based on your limited experience.

There are times to talk, and times to listen. Despite your being older than I, and perhaps of equal mat time, I most respectfully suggest that it is time for you to listen.

I spent much of my 10 years trying to listen, admittedly talking too much, many times, to listen properly. Now, sometimes, it is my time to talk, but only when I HAVE to.

mle