Old 01-06-2007, 01:57 PM   #34
Min Kang
Dojo: Aikido Shobukan Dojo
United_States
Re: "Proactive" Aikido?

Quote:
Larry Camejo wrote:
Very well said.

I think part of the key to dealing effectively with the sword/attack and not digging oneself into a hole comes from the release of fear. Fear causes tension, fixation and doubt, all of which are ill harbingers for the Budoka. Like Musashi said - "Fixation equals death".

This is where things get interesting imho because the only way to not fear the effects of an attack landing (like being cut in half with a sword) is to transcend the pain of being hit and even ones attachment to life itself (we enter the realm of the Unfettered Mind now). Imho the only way to not be caught up with the attack is to make it a non-issue in your mind so it creates no fear-based tension and negative energy. As we see in Bokken Dori it is imperative to "taste the blade" so to speak to get into a position where one can get off an effective technique against a bokken strike. This requires having no fear of the weapon, no fear of its wielder and to a large degree no fear of death itself.

Just my 2 cents.
LC
I agree with your 2 cents, Larry. I really like that quote from Musashi, it puts it very succinctly: "Fixation is death." For me, it works both in the literal martial sense, that to "fix" yourself to the earth and not move puts you at a severe disadvantage in a conflict. But it also rings true for me in a different sense: Fixating on one thing can lead to tunnel vision and you are unaware of other opportunities or threats in your surroundings - or in your life.

Quote:
Reminds me of a seminar I taught in Canada once to some Judoka and Karetaka. After the seminar they wanted to "randori". Unfortunately for me I had been in teaching mode for the past few days so my mind was slow on that day. In the midst of the session one of the Judoka held me so strongly that my movements were hampered by a half-second or so, just enough for his karateka pal to get me with a tsuki to the lip. I was able to move my head so it just grazed me, but the pain was a great wake up call. Before his hand could retract I got him with Nikkyo. Afterwards he wanted to apologize for the shot to the face but I thanked him, it was a wake up call that I sorely needed to switch mindsets.

I think this is important somewhat if we intend to train in a martial/Budo mindset. We cannot let fear of any sort take our spirit, else we are defeated before we begin.
There's nothing like pain to make you aware, is there.

I think sometimes we get caught up in the ramifications or consequences of failure and that ensures failure. In the example above, if you're so aware of the reality that if the bokken/sword makes contact, you will feel pain or be injured or be killed, that you end up blocking or making a half-hearted attempt at entry that will ensure that your technique fails.

Training. And training under real perceived threat (and not half-hearted floating molasses slow attacks) is the only real way to learn to perceive the attack but not be affected by its meaning ... and possible consequences.

It's gonna hurt until you learn, though And after you learn, you'll just hurt less frequently.

They that have power to hurt and will do none,
That do not do the thing they most do show,
Who, moving others, are themselves as stone ...