Thread: Why no tsuba?
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #218
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,938
Re: Why no tsuba?

Cliff Judge wrote: View Post
But it worries me that beginners might think of a tsuba on a bokken as a real piece of protective equipment.

80/20 rule, methink. as in, 80% of the time, you don't need the tsuba, but use our other protective equipment, our noggin, to be careful and not going beyond our capabilities before we are ready. the other 20% of the time, shit happens, and this is where we will need the tsuba, wrist braces, and so on and so forth. or we can just switch over to shield and battle axe, which is my preference (wonder if you can do aiki stuffs with shield and battle axe, i meant can you aikiage with the shield and loft the other bugger's legs off at the ankles?).

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly