View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 08:38 AM   #12
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: yin/yang in taiji

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
No. Plainly applicable.

It is Coulomb's arch of tangent spheres which I have posted long ago -- it is stable in compression under its own weight in one -- and only one -- line of thrust, conforming to that typical shape. Anything else collapses without resistance -- "like pushing on a rope"

How applicable? Cut the diagram in half vertically. Turn the right half 90 deg. clockwise and attach its bottom to the top of the left half -- the resulting line of thrust is typical of that of the human body in hanmi extended in tegatana facing right exerting or bearing a lateral load to/from the right. Maintain that profile (technically called the "funicular line") in response to applied load and the structure will bear it compressively until its material fails. Collapse it -- cleverly -- with exceedingly small deviations from the line, and you can direct the resulting plane of action -- which involves rotation(s).
Ah.... I made an understatement. I have this picture in my mind of a Sensei yelling encouragingly to a student, "Use Coulomb's arch" and suddenly a moment of Satori embraces the student.

Or maybe not.

Mike Sigman