View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #25
Eva Antonia
Dojo: CERIA
Belgium
Re: Finding our own way in and out of Aikido

Hi all,

I'm Roman Catholic and have read both this thread and another one where it was more about Muslims' approach towards bowing and mixed gender training with interest.

From my point of view, I don't have any problem to reconciliate aikido spirituality with Christian spirituality, just thinking that I'm not obliged to take everything literally; there are lots of things that are not meant to be believed word by word, but that are written with the intention to make persons THINK about them. In the bible as well as in other holy books. Although I know that there are many people that like the word-to-word approach, I always thought that it's a too narrow way of thinking and that there are many different forms of expressing the same truth.

But then I have another thought about aikido, that it is in a way opposed to Christian beliefs because when doing it you enjoy so immensely the physical aspects of it (for me, it's especially the FLYING when been well thrown...it's an addictive pleasure). So I somehow feel rather that the purely physical feeling of enjoying yourself tremendously smothers the spiritual aspect, and that you get more attached to earthly life and neglect the soul. It is just an impression I have, and it doesn't prevent me from doing aikido (for that, the addiction is in a far too advanced stage), but it provokes from time to time a slight uneasiness.

Best regards,

Eva