Thread: Frozen Shoulder
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2006, 01:52 PM   #19
Carol Shifflett
United_States
Re: Frozen Shoulder

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote:
I think the freezing has only been happening for the past 2/3 months, virtually all the pain is at the front of the shoulder, and then only when I try to put my hand in certain places i.e. behind my back.
Where behind your back? Reaching up behind your back as in combing hair? -- or down behind your back as in tying hakama strings?
If reaching down and back, that pain pattern sounds remarkably like infraspinatus (the muscle that covers the lower 3/4 of the back of the shoulder blade) rather than pain from the capsule itself. When unhappy, it produces an aching pain deep in the FRONT of the shoulder joint.
Quote:
Also if I put both hands above my head, the bad side reaches about 6"lower.
That is the test for triceps, teres major, and latissimus dorsi. Neither triceps nor teres produce pain in the front of the shoulder. Latissimus does.
Quote:
I obviously need to do a little more reserch to discover the actual prognosis, my local GP didn't seem to have much of an understanding. I think I need to go back armed with the info that I have received from you helpfull folk.
Go back with a copy of "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook" by Clair Davies. It has pain pattern pictures and is oriented towards self-treatment (rather than clinical techniques) -- i.e., nothing that can't be done on the mat. For GP, look for Travell & Simons "Myofascial Pain and Dysfunction" (Volume I). Can be found in most medical libraries, interlibrary loan, etc. or used online.

GPs trained in heart muscles of course, but ignore the rest. I have an anatomy book for surgeons that recommends being more familiar with muscles so's to be able to slice through them more efficiently on the way to the "real" organic problem. Of course muscle (and its fascia) is the biggest organ system we have and its no slouch at symptoms, either. There's a trigger point that can cause cardiac arrhythmia, several muscles that do an excellent imitation of appendicitis, and a calf muscle that will give you low back pain and jaw pain. Not to be ignored.

National Association of Myofascial Trigger Point Therapists (NAMTPT) has a locator map at:
http://www.myofascialtherapy.org

In Europe, Society for Myofascial Trigger Point Therapy (IMTT) is in Switzerland. Telefon / Telefax: 052 242 60 74

Anyway, sounds like as good a time as any to post the shoulder pain patterns that were supposed to go with the ROM tests. Will try to get those up today and hope they're helpful.

Cheers!
Carol Shifflett