View Single Post
Old 07-20-2006, 11:28 AM   #18
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom
Re: Frozen Shoulder

Quote:
Carol Shifflett wrote:
Has it been hurting (and "freezing") since last year?
Extremely painful? -- or more stiff than painful?
What can you not do? Inability to reach back to tie your hakama suggests a couple of possibilities, but for more detail . . .

There are some specific muscle tests and a bit of information on "frozen shoulder" (a nice, general non-specific term), vs. "adhesive capsulitis" vs. myofascial trigger points at:
http://round-earth.com/RotatorCuffTests.html.

If it is truly adhesive capsulitis, then low-level steroids may be very appropriate. OTOH, you may be living with some unresolved trigger points laid down last year and a combination of myofascial therapy, accupuncture and exercise should produce excellent results.

Cheers!
Carol Shifflett
Hi Carol, thanks for the info and the link, lots there to confuse me

I think the freezing has only been happening for the past 2/3 months, virtually all the pain is at the front of the shoulder, and then only when I try to put my hand in certain places i.e. behind my back. Also if I put both hands above my head, the bad side reaches about 6"lower.

I obviously need to do a little more reserch to discover the actual prognosis, my local GP didn't seem to have much of an understanding. I think I need to go back armed with the info that I have received from you helpfull folk.

thanks again,

Mark,
p.s. interestingly I have had to adapt some of my aikido on the 'duff' side, and this has proven to be no less effective, hooray!

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.