View Single Post
Old 07-17-2006, 06:45 PM   #12
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
United_States
Re: Suckerpunched, ouch

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote:
You might be right for all I really know, but I do know at least one or two people who would disagree. I think there are trade-offs between punching with the first two or the last three knuckles. The first two, having smaller surface area, are easier to strike with so they make contact together, giving more support and less chance of breaking; with the last three knuckles, it's easier to lead with the pinky knuckle by mistake and break it, but if done properly, I don't think it's necessarily a bad punch...particularly if it's conditioned well. Perhaps the advantage to punching with the last three knuckles is you have even more surface area through which to absorb the impact.
You may have a *slight* point but i would be willing to bet that the overwhelming majority of martial artists would agree with me.

Out of the 3 martial arts i've had experience with, which are karate (very briefly as a child), aikido, and shaolin, I have been taught to punch this way in all of them. I'm also almost 100% sure that muay thai practitioners are taught this way after doing some research on it, and as for a striking art, i don't think you can really beat muay thai.

With that said, in *any* issue at all, there will always be "one or two people" that will disagree with you. That's just the way we as humans are.

*Paige*