View Single Post
Old 07-17-2006, 05:45 PM   #8
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Suckerpunched, ouch

Quote:
I stepped in between and put my hands up which he came against and repeated the female managers last request to him. Next thing I know I can't see for a half a second because I got clocked with a big right.
The sucker punch is (I'm guessing) the most common thing anyone has to deal with in a fight. I dont know how many times I've seen people get hit from behind when they weren't looking or simply popped in the face when they were still talking to the guy. If someone is within range to hit you "instantly" you have to assume they very well might and adjust accordingly. I'm hardly an expert, but I think paying attention to the angles is very important. It can mean the difference between being hit hard and being grazed slightly, or not being hit at all. Perhaps most importantly is keeping a ready eye on the hands...not looking directly at them, but keeping them well in sight of your peripheral vision and maintaining awareness of them. I once had a little kid walk up to me (I was in seiza) hand held next to his chest. What I thought was going to be a slow, half-hearted punch was delivered as fast as a little kid's young arms could send it. Without thinking I pivoted a little and cut his elbow, flipping him. He landed wanting me to do it again (I don't think I could have done it the first time if I had tried). Now, had this been an adult, i doubt I would have flipped him, but I kept my hands at the ready on the center-line which I think allowed me to stay inside of his very quick movement. Maybe it's a bad example, i don't know, but for what it's worth, there it is.
Quote:
Anyway I didn't do any aikido locks or throws, but man did the posture, blocking and moving into him while reacting to his punches work like a charm
It's amazing how a little posture can make a big difference. I have chronic posture issues which makes it hard to channel maximum power, but when it works right it always amazes me how easy it can be to negate someone's force.
Quote:
Things I learned that day:
1.) mai-ai is for real, a fight doesn't have to be agreed on by both parties for it to start. If he had a box cutter I would be dead.
2.) It was amazing how well the posture and blocks worked when moving into his space and reacting to his punches. He didn't get a clean punch on me again.
3.) I am lucky, If you see someone you think is dangerous or deranged, believe your thoughts and be careful. confrontation could lead to unexpected results.
Well said. It's not about being paranoid, it's about realizing anyone can be dangerous in the right/wrong situation and that any given situation, for all you know, could be it.
Quote:
My questions
1.) How do I intervene without getting suckerpunched? How do I hold my hands? My feet?
2.) what techniques can you use in a narrow aisle?
3.) How in the world do karate folks not mange thier hands in fights? I only punched that guy some 10-12 times and my knuckles and right hand appeared as if broken for the first 4 days after that, now only my index knuckle feels as if it may have been damaged.
1)Alive and at the ready, I think.
2)Why abandon shomen ate? It's a dandy. Any technique can be tightened up to fit in smaller quarters...but I don't think it helps to be thinking of what technique to use...if anything I think just rolling with the punches, figuratively and literally, is the way to go.
3)conditioning is a big part of it. Proper striking mechanics is too. I'm sure the first one would help a lot. I used to hit things a lot and after a while, my hands became less prone to pain when I did hit things...now it's been a while and it hurts a lot more when I do. The callouses don't look all that great to many women, but they do work well in a fight.
Anyway, I hope you'll all forgive my attempts to answer these questions as best I may...I know I'm not exactly an expert, but I do enjoy the chance to try and articulate my thoughts around situations like this.
Take care,
Matt

Last edited by mathewjgano : 07-17-2006 at 05:50 PM.

Gambarimashyo!