View Single Post
Old 07-08-2006, 05:24 AM   #12
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom
Re: The game of Go

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote:
Says you. Sente (initiative) is life. Irimi works in Go like in physical contests, the blending is in deciding where to exercise sente when you have it. I find the aikido concept of kuzushi helpful in Go, because it tells you when you can shift the focus of sente (tedomari).

But you are right about the limits of aggression. Great Go is played with sente up to the point of kuzushi (tedomari) and then reestablishing sente elsewhere working to kuzushi, etc. etc. This is like omote technique in aikido.

The most exceptional masters can play urawaza, simulating gote with a larger goal in mind and essentially leading even capable players around in a false sente ... If you can even just see how it is done, (and I cannot do it very well at all in Go), you will have tremendous insight into the working of aiki in perception and decisionmaking.

Not at all like that bloody cricket ...

"How you English say, I one more time-a unclog my nose in your direction, sons of a window-dresser! So, you think you could out-clever us French folk with your silly knees-bent running about advancing behavior! ... Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time-a! (' Fetchez la vache! )"
Once again Erick your multilingual prowess leaves me gasping in admiration

Mark bows out, ducking the falling cow as he goes.....

p.s. you can say what you like about cricket, I find watching paint dry a more stimulating use of my time

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.