View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 10:44 PM   #190
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Ueshiba's Aiki

Quote:
Ken McGrew wrote: View Post
Mathew, point to a post when I deny the existence of Aiki in Aikido.
That's not what I suggested. I was addressing the idea that is often put forward: that, whatever O Sensei was doing, it might not be present in modern Aikido. I'm saying read that kind of rhetoric with a grain of salt because in the past I know I've read things too literally, or read parts of a comment which seemed extraordinary until compared with other remarks that seemed to balance them out. In the past I've read people saying there's "no" aiki in Aikido. Strictly speaking there is. The question then is to what degree, but I have almost no frame of reference for that. There is a strong argument that internal training methods were a major part of O Sensei's practice but that most people today have little to no depth of training in them. It's all relative so it's almost pointless to quantify it, in my opinion, but given the kind of testimony I've seen from highly experienced people, I think there's something to it.

Quote:
I have provided two interviews in this discussion where O'Sensei describes his religious beliefs. I have pointed to religious symbols in most dojos that we have as tradition from O'Sensei. This shows he was religious. If people are going to claim the translations are completely wrong then they need to back that up with new translations. The comment you are referring to about budo being beyond religion seems to indicate that he was beyond denominational thinking. That is he trained the true religion.
I'm not touching anything about "true" religion! Mine was a family of Huguenots so we like to avoid that kind of verbage...keeps our heads in place longer.
Sounds like some newer translations are being worked on though, so hopefuly they'll be available soon.
I'm not religious, but I am spiritual. According to an atheist friend, I'm religious because I incorporate religious things in my practice. Semantics can be difficult...and on aikiweb for some reason they seem to cause all kinds of trouble.
Take care,
Matt
ps- thank you, Mr. Amdur, for another comprehensive and illuminating post!!!

Last edited by mathewjgano : 11-11-2011 at 10:47 PM.

Gambarimashyo!