View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 03:57 AM   #12
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Re: Different perspectives.

I do see the 'historic' aspect of martial arts as a method to retain lots of techniques which were one time used in combat (esp. things such as tai-chi). Indeed I believe that the conflict within many martial arts is between retaining a broad scope of lots of techniques (which historically and practically I believe it would have been impossible for a single person to perfect to combat level) or having a few practical techniques which are practiced religiously and are very effective. I think pretty much any technique works with enough determination and enough practise.

I think we are lucky in aikido in that the majority of aikijitsu techniques have been simplified into a few practical techniques. However I'd still say that the focus is generally not self-defence (though I try myself to make it as such), and often we do get so tied up in esoteric stuff and not in the practical raelity of just LOTS of practise. I do believe in the early years Ueshiba obviously had self-defence in his mind when developing his own martial arts, not because of the harder style, but because he hadn't yet though of aikido as a martial art of love and because of his childhood.

It makes me think of the chinese guy who only practised one single strike, and for a long time he was unbeatable in competitions (forget his name).

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---