View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 01:21 AM   #33
Thomas Donelson
United_States
Re: Dance, Wrist Locks & Sub-Teens

Thomas Donelson is quoted: "The part of the philosphy of Aikido that is intended to foster respect and dispute resolution, can be illustrated with an Aikido wrist lock dance."

Quote:
Basia Halliop wrote: View Post
I'm actually not sure what you mean, because I've never heard of a 'wrist lock dance' so I'm not positive what you're trying to say or what image you have in your mind.

Again, I'm not sure from your choice of words what you mean.

By wrist-lock dance, I mean the positioning of footwork by the person trained in writst-locks, as a potential victim, to be in a confrontation with another individual, a potential attacker.

The wrist-lock trained victim would be positioning himself so that if the attacker did attempt to strike the victim, that the victim would be envisoning a sequence of stepping aside, blocking the fist and arm of the attacker, and then forming a wrist lock, on the attacker, so that further steps can be made to position the victim such that the attacker would have difficulty in striking the victim, with his free hand.

In some Aikido training, it is taught that if an attacker punches in, to grasp the arm, and create moves to get the attacker off balance, and place the attacker on the mat.

The wrist lock dance would be a substitute for placing the attacker on the mat. The wrist-lock would be maintained by the victim changing footwork positioning, and only applying enough force at the wrist, to prevent the attacker from breaking loose, or from striking with the other hand.

When it seems the attacker has been defused, the victim may release the attacker from the wrist-lock, and prepare for envisioning another step aside, block and wrist-lock, if the attacker attempts to hit the victim again.

The attacker's energy is discharged as questions are asked by the victim, "Why are you threatening me?" or "Why are you trying to make me afraid you are going to hit me?" "What are you angry about?" or "Why are you trying to push me?" or "I amd becoming frightened that you are going to hit me!." or "you are making me frightened you arfe going to hit me." If the attacker does punch in, and the victim is able to step aside, and deflect the blow away from his face and body, this usually has the effect of defusing the attacker's intensity, having expended the energy to attempt to hit the victim. Further energy is depleted from the attacker, if a wrist lock can be applied, and the attacker spends further energy trying to get into a position to punch in again.

So the wrist-lock dance is the victim attempting to postion himself to avoid being punched, and to maintain the wrist lock, with minimal pressure. The victim is responding to the attacker's further attempting to position himself, to punch in again.

The victim may decide that maintaining the wrist lock is causing too much pressure on the attacker's wrist, and release the wrist-lock, and begin positioning himself for another punch in, by the attacker.

Last edited by Thomas Donelson : 04-15-2009 at 01:31 AM.