View Single Post
Old 03-30-2007, 08:34 AM   #33
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: Ki-Aikido or Taiji - effectiveness in developing Qi?

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
I would argue that all of those things are just different ways of using the same thing. Hitting, as in your example with Vlad, is somewhat a part of the same thing, although I'd have to point out that in my experience with hitters, quite a lot the good ones learn to put their dantien in their fist, etc., even though that doesn't necessarily mean they can apply that narrow aspect in anything else they do.

But the point I'm trying to make is that it's all the same thing and you begin to see that, after one's practice develops the normal perspective.

Best.

Mike
I believe you are right... but its interesting how, as Ellis has pointed out in his writings, the different cultural considerations give these things different outward form. The Systema guys don't look like any martial art I have seen anywhere despite the fact that I think you are right that the internal skill development is the same. Takeda Sensei and O-Sensei didn't look like the Chinese teachers yet it seems obvious that the source for the internal power aspect was China.

I think that this is one of the things which makes it hard for Aikido people to look at one of the Chinese practitioners or someone like Vladimir Vasiliyev and to envision what those skills would look like in an Aikido context...

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com