View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #44
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States
Re: Int. Vs. Ext - resisting a push

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
I've made my diagrams. I made them to illustrate how I understand one can align with with incoming force. I have yet to see a logical argument for how 'internal' stability is different, so it would be impossible for me to make a diagram for this. If you explain to me how it's suppose to work, maybe I could make a diagram for you.
Your diagrams

I'd say that from an Aikido standpoint, of your 5 diagrams the first one represents the ideal way to meet an incoming force using dispersion. Diagram 2 illustrates the least desirable body configuration. Diagrams 3 and 4 show body configurations that would effectively ground the force provided the wrist, elbow and shoulder joints are not locked out. The drawback to the position in diagram 4 is that movement from that position is difficult and time consuming due to the excessive proportion of body weight placed on the front foot. Diagram 5 would work well for Spiderman (I know you included it for illustrative purposes only, but I couldn't resist).

Grounding, dispersion, redirection and cycling can be trained individually but in practice are rarely used in isolation.

Chris, what role does mind assume when it comes to your Aikido training? It's been my experience that there's a marked difference in performance of the "push" exercises when one performs them with and without mind and body coordinated.

Ron