View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #108
Chris Evans
United_States
Wink Re: Don't waste your time practicing WEAK AIKIDO

Quote:
Alberto Italiano wrote: View Post
1) true in the sense most aikidokas don't feel that need (wrongly). However athletical fitness is something that ought to be pursued independently of your art and even sport of election. If you run 100mt, you still need to go to a gym in order to have those biceps and deltoids... which are not used for running... If you want Mike Tyson shoulders, boxing alone is not enough (compare Clay's muscles with Tyson's... same sport different athletical preparations).

2) true. Yet as far as fighting is concerned, there is nothing wrong with it: you get attacked, you react in a manner that is supposed to neutralize the attack - and if such a manner does the promised job without punching back, what's the problem with that? The really wrong part with it is that, being so, ukes (those who simulate attacks) are a piece of cake to say the least... the real critic here should have sounded: all aikido ukes attack using only one arm... they have only one... oh and they can't turn on their hips... oh and cannot jump on their toes... oh and are pretty slow... oh and they have a regrettable tendency to lose their balance because of a mere whisper... it's like fighting with an attacker who suffers a severe form of arthritis...

3) true. In a real situation a guy who, in order to beat you, grabs your wrist is so rare to be a blue herring, and if for some funny reason a guy who knows how to fight grabs your wrist, a punch in your face will follow at light speed (with the second arm... real attackers have two arms, for some funny reason I cannot fathom) - you won't be able to place even the ghost of a nikkyo on that...
As for grappling, instead it is very common from incompetent attackers.

4) true. However the whole point with aikido is to seize one of your arms - if nage manages to do that, the fight is over.

5) true. We see endless "demonstrations" that, actually, are only fabrications to hide the fact that if the attack wouldn't have been "demonstrative", most nages would have not known what to do with it.

6) False. It is not older than many other arts. It is true that no one uses swords, however guys still use sticks...

7) False. It is a only philosophy if those who teach it don't use it for combative purposes.

8) Very true: it is that etc which is most true in fact.

Keep in mind that also many Karate guys from our suburban dojos, black belts, would do very very poorly in a MMA match.

The only way to fight well is to fight against ruthless opponents often. There is no other road and unfortunately no dojos, aikido or whatever, will ever let you train that way.
You could easily cast the same objections at many other arts. It is that etc which is true: it all depends on how you practice.
True!...

Keep in mind that also many Karate guys from our suburban dojos, black belts, would do very very poorly in a MMA match.

The only way to fight well is to fight against ruthless opponents often. There is no other road and unfortunately no dojos, aikido or whatever, will ever let you train that way.
You could easily cast the same objections at many other arts. It is that etc which is true: it all depends on how you practice

One karate dojo and another can do vastly different: I know, as I get to train at two karate dojo. If I had to limit to one, i'll choose the karate dojo that always practices on the mat, where I've had to pick myself up, limping from those leg-kicks (from gedan mawashi geri).

Osu

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."