View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 06:55 PM   #11
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: I like this definition of ki

Quote:
Robert John wrote: View Post
Erm... most japanese people, and by most I mean 99.999% out there don't give a second thought as to the definition of "Ki" within their language.
I'd say they put as much "thought" into it as we do when we say "I have a feeling," or "It doesn't feel right," or whatever. Mostly, in Japanese, "ki" implies a "feelling" and not something "mystical" or especially "other-worldly". It's completely natural, so that it doesn't require a second thought.

Quote:
I'd say anyone reading that deep into it is reading something that isn't there.
Reading "how" deep into it? The implications of "ki" are not generally deep....but they get as deep as human feelings...which can be pretty deep.

Quote:
What would, and does make sense is that "Aiki"do comes from the term "Aiki" that his teacher Takeda used. In fact it was Takeda who introduced the term and made it well known in that time period.
Yes, in that time period. And it was well known among the bushi long before that. And, like tenki, genki, kimochi, byouki, etc., it mainly referred to a variation of human emotions, feeling or intention. Like kiai.

Quote:
Sometimes the simplest explanations are the best ^^;
Explaining aiki as "harmonious attitude" or "harmonious feeling" or "intention to harmonize" doesn't overly complicate the issue. Nor does it rob the martial method of any meaning or content. It's the Western side that has piled the mystical and otherworldly implications on the simple, natural meanings of "ki" words and made concepts like aiki and kiai more difficult for non-Japanese to grasp.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com