View Single Post
Old 10-15-2003, 10:47 AM   #5
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
In the dojo - no.

I always had the same respect for my partner. If anything I'm a tiny bit more aggressive as an uke (but not 'resistant') to ensure that nage can get a 'feel' of how frightening attacks can be.

Outide dojo - yes.

Not sure whether this is a philosophical development through aikido (I consider that people should get the opportunity to regret their violent adolescence.) Also I think right and wrong are societal constructs (or at least relative) and therefore I don't feel the anger or aggression towards people outside that comes with condemnation; even those who have been aggressive towards me. (well not to any extent anyway - I still get pi**ed off with people sometimes).

I'm not sure PRACTICALLY whether this is true. I'm far more aware of how to kill or disable someone, though I don't practise this so hopefully my response would be very aiki - but it's been a while since I've had a confrontation, and I don't know what my subconcious would tell me to do.

I believe that the philosophical aspect does have a real self-defence benefit - from not seeing agressive situations as purely confrontational and instead being able to find a joint solution or at least an understanding, I think I've avoided many fights (though I'd say some people are out to get you regardless).

Ian

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---