View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
SeiserL

United_States
Re: Lead with the Head

Quote:
Susan Dalton wrote: View Post
I led with my head for years. I loved to be up in my head, had no idea how to be anywhere else. But I never connected my constant neck pain (my daggone neck hurt until I was nikyu or ikkyu) to that problem. How interesting!
Susan
Osu,

Like training (form, variation, no form), there is a time to be in the head to be mindful or the body, a time to see the conceptual and strategic process, and a time to just do it.

Lee would say that at first a punch is just a punch (you wing it). Then the punch becomes a science (you break it down and pay attention). In the end, a punch is just a punch (but this time its very different).

We also talk about the 4 levels of competence. The first is unconscious incompetence: it doesn't work, but you don't know it. Second is conscious incompetence: it doesn't work and you know it doesn't work. Third is conscious competence: it works when you pay attention. Fourth, it just works and you become aware of something else that needs you attention.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

Rei, Domo.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!