Old 03-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #17
lars beyer
Dojo: Copenhagen Aikishuren Dojo
Denmark
Re: Help! Blackbelts vs Sensei!

Quote:
Luke Hobbs wrote: View Post
Hi All,

I only started Yoshinkan Aikido a few months ago but now I'm in a total state of confusion because I don't know if the footwork and posture is important or not. The reason why is because all the blackbelts hold different stances to each other, and when they come to train us whitebelts, they tell us the opposite of what sensei is telling us. Is this normal?

SENSEI:
60/40 weight distribution front foot bias
Front foot just off centre (45 degrees too much)
Legs slighty bent and relaxed at the knees.
Front arm out with a gentle curve like a sword, back hand about 4 inches from dantien, both hands spread but relaxed down centreline.
hips forward
Back/head/neck to attention but relaxed as if suspended.

BLACKBELTS:
they say 60/40 but put us into a 90/10 because they make us go...
front foot 45 degrees out with knee bent over toe
back leg straight and locked, should be able to lift it (keep in mind a 60/40 ratio is only very slightly off centre and should not be able to lift it)
fingers spread apart and rigid

Watching the blackbelts is also confusing because they don't actually do what they're saying to do. Some have their back hand over their opposite hip, some have bent fingers, some have the lead hand rigidly straight... one blackbelt even has his feet about 4 inches apart pointing in almost perpendicular to one another.

What do I do? I can't exactly say "That's not what sensei showed me".

Help please
Hi Luke,
If in doubt ask your sensei and if he is not present ask one of the senior students you know teach what sensei teaches or at least tries to.
You can also go with the flow and see what the different statements means to you and then take it as a way of learning trying out different things. Sometimes you will also face the fact that sensei doesnīt allways say what he does and vice versa. Itīs part of he game.. everybody evolves and tries out different things so rely on being persistent and eventually you will get a natural feel for what is right and what is wrong in your particular dojo.

Regards
Lars