View Single Post
Old 06-04-2009, 07:47 AM   #11
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany
Re: Did O-Sensei Misinterpret the Meaning of "Budo"?

Quote:
Joshua Reyer wrote: View Post
In that case, no Ueshiba did not misinterpret the meaning of "budo". The idea of budo being about love and peace goes back to the earliest schools of Japanese combat. The Japanese martial traditions that we have today were born in a period of prolonged warfare, and finding a way out of the cycle of violence was a major theme. Iizasa Choisai Ienao, founder of the oldest surviving kenjutsu school made the statement "The ways of war are the ways of peace" a primary mission statement of his ryu, as well as the idea of "defeating the opponent without drawing your sword."

The only real difference on this score between Ueshiba and most other martial traditions is that typically the "love and peace" was of a Buddhist variety, while for Ueshiba it was an Omoto-kyo variety.
!
Yes, that is my understanding too.

In "Budo" of Ueshiba O Sensei which is of 1938 you find both: "Budo is love" and also "If your opponent really attacks strike to his face with all your power." (Cited by heart.)

And also the katori people learn both at the same time: The idea of "defeating the opponent without drawing your sword." and they also to use their swords very well.

As I said: It's our understanding of love and harmony which creates a misinterpretation, I think.

Carsten