View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 11:11 AM   #9
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States
Re: Teaching children, seeing parents

Hi Zolley,
I have a different idea than yours if you're open to that.

I see the dojo as the new locus of a childs life when they come to train with me; not just a rest(my word) from the outside world. The two worlds are best when cohesive so they are 1; a model of oneness in a childs life. By being grounded yourself you can provide the kind of presence that will glide you and students through the moments of distraction when parents arrive(or stay the whole class). In that way you are 'energeticaly'(sorry I can't think of a better word for this at the moment) educating the entire family in support of the childs practice of a 'do' a way/method of life.
Many parents have turned corners in the suport of focused training for their kids by coming to my classes. The parents become focused supporters also. So now you've got a network of people assisting in the education of aikido. Not only yourself and your fellows at the dojo.

And also, just because someting is policy doesn't mean it shouldn't be dicussed or addressed. After all, if accusations come your direction it is you who will be under fire from behind those closed doors. Not the policy makers. Awareness of suki as an instructor is a vital point and good martial arts also.
Best of luck to you.And congratulations, too.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems