View Single Post
Old 04-02-2007, 04:56 PM   #137
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Ki-Aikido or Taiji - effectiveness in developing Qi?

Mark wrote:

Quote:
And i gave several examples. Let's take nikkyo for another example. If someone with internal skills can negate 99% of all nikkyo attempts, then it's only a matter of time before that gets applied to an armbar. You ever tap anyone out with an armbar? How about if you got an armbar on someone, crank for all your worth, and they laugh at you. How about if someone goes to do a leg takedown and nothing happens -- you don't go down.
In my limited experiences nikkyo is pretty much a non technique in MMA because it simply does not work for anyone that I have ever worked with. Not saying that it won't work, just that I have never seen it. Also, as Bob Galeone used to say...any aikido techniques can be negated or avoided if you don't want them applied and have superior skills in positioning yourself over your opponent.

Sure pain compliance has it's limitation and so do things like arm bars, the don't work every time. Anyone who has developed a decent game in grappling knows this and therefore rolls to the next thing, then to the next thing. Personally these days I don't go trolling for arm bars..if they are there they are there...if not then they are not...I worry more about the position I am in than anything else and let things develop. This is a big distinction in technique seekers and those with a little more maturity in BJJ. (Higher blue and purple on up).

Sure there are guys that can avoid takedowns...I don't really care why or how they avoid them..they do...therefore you must move on to the next thing...not stop and go "wow, you avoided my takedown...amazing!" (Aliveness)

Those with the ability to position themselves with balance, posture, timing etc better than the other guy will always control the fight and avoid arm bars, takedowns, etc...nothing magical there or suprising.

Doesn't matter to me if you call in internal or external or what not...if you can do it better than me...then I want to know how you do it, and for you to show me what is wrong.

It is really that simple. Aliveness allows this to happen.

I am all over the fact that many describe the feeling etc as being different than anything they have felt before..got it, it happens when you experience something new.