View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #33
rroeserr
Re: The Descent of Aiki

Hi,

Quote:
Ellis Amdur wrote: View Post
1. Interestingly, although they sound the same, they really are somewhat different. Here's a still photo of Nitta Suzuyo sensei. The shin tai-juku movement would contribute - no doubt - but there are other elements in the THBR which are quite different. I'm not being coy - it just would be very difficult for me to explain, other than to say that when I did work some of Ark's exercises, they did not seem to contribute to the physical organization I am striving for in THBR
Interesting. Would a difference be the function of the hips? In the picture it looks like should like she's twisting but her hips are still forward? Couldn't see the lower body - roughly does one knee go up/back and one knee go down/forward on a cut/raising the naginata?

Quote:
Ellis Amdur wrote: View Post
2. That's tough. Different lines of Araki-ryu, depending on what han one was in, had different status. The line from which I "descended" was rural bushi, goshi and nomin together. THBR was original VERY high class - bushi and even daimyo, but for many centuries, it was the provenance of a very rural clan, the Suneya, who functioned as village headmasters.
Ok thanks.

Regards,
Robert