View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #26
Ellis Amdur

Re: The Descent of Aiki

Robert -
Quote:
Regard- Ark if you move from crown to perineum in Toda-ha Buko-ryu isn't that more like shin taijiku than pool noodling?

Out of curiosity what class of status of citizen would do an art like Toda-ha Buko-ryu vs Araki-ryu?
1. Interestingly, although they sound the same, they really are somewhat different. Here's a still photo of Nitta Suzuyo sensei. The shin tai-juku movement would contribute - no doubt - but there are other elements in the THBR which are quite different. I'm not being coy - it just would be very difficult for me to explain, other than to say that when I did work some of Ark's exercises, they did not seem to contribute to the physical organization I am striving for in THBR

2. That's tough. Different lines of Araki-ryu, depending on what han one was in, had different status. The line from which I "descended" was rural bushi, goshi and nomin together. THBR was original VERY high class - bushi and even daimyo, but for many centuries, it was the provenance of a very rural clan, the Suneya, who functioned as village headmasters.

best
Ellis