View Single Post
Old 05-28-2007, 05:12 AM   #45
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: What technique would you apply to neutralize Brazilian Jujitsu attacker

Quote:
Gianluigi Pizzuto wrote:
One thing I agree with what I read, if a BBJer wants to take the fight to the ground in the long run it wil happen. So if you wanna know what to do the only thing is taking your Sensei and train in dojo with him on avoiding being taken down. But most likely go to a BJJ gym and learn some ground work which won't hurt you to know.
It's surprising that so many people still believe that BJJ is the crown jewel of empty-handed fighting. I watched UFC 71 last night and the trends of MMA today continue. The techniques of BJJ don't have much more relevance than the techniques of aikido. This is really no big news. Both systems have their roots in Japanese jujutsu, which was developed by men who were always armed.

The evolution of the UFC is very interesting, because we are seeing what skilled empty-handed fighting looks like. The hands of western boxing, and the elbows, knees, and kicks of Muay Thai supported by the positional awareness of BJJ, the takedown and takedown defense of free-style wrestling, the throws of judo and Greco, and chokes. Submissions like juji gatame still pop up, but only sparingly, and don't make much sense when compared to ground-and-pound. Guard is much less of a way for a smaller man to win than it is making the best of a bad situation.

I don't say this to discourage anyone from studying BJJ or any other martial art, but just to keep things in proper perspective.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki