View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006, 06:44 AM   #25
Mike Grant
United Kingdom
Thumbs up Re: People I don't want to learn from

Quote:
Jennie Pascal wrote:
So after paying a bit more attention, I've realized that one of my 'annoying' training partners just has a larger personality, on and off the mat. He means well, but always comes off like he's giving pep talks. Now that I'm aware of what's going on, I feel like I will be able to come up with my own way of working with it. And the other senior student, I am starting to think he's just got a bit of a crush and is showing off. A bit trickier, but again, I can deal.
I think you've missed the point and are adopting a very selfish attitude. One aspect of training is what you learn yourself, and the other is ensuring that your partner has a good practice. from what you've said, you're barely of the effect of your actions on other people.

If the person is senior to you, just do it his/her way for the duration of the practice. You don't have to agree with them, like them, or even respect them. You just do it their way for the sake of harmony in the dojo and ask your questions or make your comments later if you so desire. That's the way a dojo works and the way of budo; the more 'harmony' the more training time for everybody. In return, you get to give it your best shot and your senior has to cope with it.