View Single Post
Old 12-11-2006, 08:31 PM   #24
charyuop
Dojo: Ponca Aikikai
United_States
Re: People I don't want to learn from

Wow. It happened to me tonight...but I was the one giving the "tips". I never considered the fact that the guy might have found it offensive, hope he didn't.

We were practicing a Katate Shihonage and we are both new. I don't know why, but unlike other techniques I found very comfortable with this one and came out pretty fluid from the beginning. We usually do a 4 time nage role/4 time uke role to alternate. My uke when it was his turn ti be nage had problems with the technique. I started telling him something because in the final part of the Shihonage in the lowering my arm he would keep my elbow lifted and that hurt as hell, even keeping me from ukemi. So I started showing him what he was doing wrong. Later on I noticed that in the first part of the technique he was "forgetting" behind his arms so I told him a couple of times and then later on showed him the way he was doing it was leaving me chances to throw him instead of being thrown. Our Senpai (he was teaching tonight) came and supported my "tips" a couple of times, but for most of the time he left us working it out alone. I ended up basically being only uke and no longer nage (my choice since he needed more to practice it).
In the end he got the technique pretty well and he could throw me down easy even tho I tried to put some resistance in it. He looked satisfied by being able of doing it...it didn't even jump into my head that he might have gotten offended for being "instructed" by some beginner like he is.
I guess I owe him some apologies.

That couldn't happen with Sensei tho, when we practice he doesn't want to hear us talking one another...and maybe this is the reason.

Last edited by charyuop : 12-11-2006 at 08:38 PM.