View Single Post
Old 12-07-2006, 08:48 AM   #12
heathererandolph
Dojo: Kokikai Aikido Boston
United_States
Re: People I don't want to learn from

It can be a challenge training with other people. I think sometimes when your partner wants to teach you something that that is their way of focusing on your training rather than their own. Sometimes people seem to distract themselves just as they are about to make a major brake through, so it would probably be helpful to them as well to start to focus more on their own practice. I always appreciate it when someone has a particularly good suggestion for me. But, on the other hand, sometimes a partner's suggestions can get in the way of training. If your partner wants to focus on your training versus theirs the first thing you might try is to set a good example. Don't volunteer suggestions unless they ask for advice. You might want to suggest that there be a no talking rule during your practice before you start to practice with one of the "problem people." In some Aikido dojos students are told to try to practice silently for greater focus. If they agree to that that might shut them up. I suggest to try to look on the bright side, that you are learning about students and how to inspire them when you become an instructor yourself.