View Single Post
Old 05-07-2001, 10:31 AM   #9
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: Re: Re: Daito Ryu

Hi Dan;

Well the thread was talking about technique so the real question is how much did Omoto-kyo influence the evolution of Aikido technique.

The pre-war Aikido styles are in many respects, in my limited experience, much more similar to Daito-ryu than to Aikikai. Ueshiba K. had no influence on Yoshinkan, Yoseikan or Shodokan and much of what you say below was deleted, was retained.

Within Shodokan - the spiritual influence of Omoto-kyo is pretty well zero even though the founder of the style studied at Ayabe and read all he could on the style to better understand Ueshiba M.'s Aikido. Shinto-istic and Buddhist influence permeate much of Budo but the particular brand of neo-Shintoism that Ueshiba M. practiced, the extras, were kept separate. I am unsure how much of the "1 spirit, 8 powers, 3 elements, and the 4 origins" was unique to Omoto-kyo but mystisism is not a big thing in the pre-war Aikido styles.

The 70 days was as you said spread out over a long time - these were long private lessons and training continued with Takeda absent. I understood Ueshiba also assisted Takeda when he taught which would increase his exposure more.

Some of the biggest changes in my mind had more to do with the popularization of Aikido rather than Omoto-kyo influence but like you said at the end of your post - I too could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Hover

this is a little off. If you compare DTR and aikido today, Aikido during the Iwama period and even the Aikibudo period. You will see this. You are skipping the influence of Onisaburo Deguchi and Omoto kyo on O sensei, the 1 spirit, 8 powers, 3 elements, and the 4 origins. These are the spiritual foundations of Aikido and appear nowhere in DTR dogma. Secondly Aikido is not a combat art, but an art to bring peace and harmony to the world. Thirdly technique wise yes Aikido owes a huge debt technically to DTR. But the techniques are now clearly different. Nidai Doshu deleted many of the jutsu like pins and throws in his efforts to standardize and spread the art. Thirdly contrary to popular belief Osensei only trained in DTR for perhaps a total of 70 days. Spread out over the course of his life. DTR and Aikido are no more the same than Tae Kwon Do is to Karate. Yes both retain elements of Aiki training. And some movements are similiar, but if one looks into the matters a little deeper this is where the difference may be noticed. Trees can look the same from the road, but in the woods they are all different.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido