Old 05-02-2002, 12:04 PM   #23
Brian Vickery
Dojo: Aiki-Buken Aikido
United_States
Re: hmm....

Quote:
Originally posted by paw
Brian,
Does training progress to the point where both attacker(s) and defender wear the suit? If not, why not?

Curious,

Paul
Only the attackers wear the bulletman suit. This is not a sparring session, the whole purpose of this course is to teach you to go all out under the effects of adrenal stress. The bulletmen do hit back, I've got the bruises & lumps to show show for it. The defender wears only headgear, but it was my impression, that it was only to allow the bulletment to whomp you that much harder. There were a couple of bloody noses, which one student froze when he saw his own blood, the other went into a blind rage ...this RMCAT training really takes you to the EXTREME!

Another reason is that the helmet & groin protection of the suit is fitted to the individual bulletman and cannot be used by anyone else but him. These components are literally& physically molded around the guy.
Plus, each suit cost $1,200. (I asked ALOT of questions while I was there!)

Yet another reason is that these bulletmen are highly trained at taking this type of abuse. They say that they can still feel the shots being delivered and the only thing keeping them from being injured is their training. The suit alone is NOT enough. I guess it's a variation of aikido's ukemi, just applied differently.

Regards,

Brian Vickery

"The highest level of technique to achieve is that of having NO technique!"