View Single Post
Old 01-16-2006, 04:29 PM   #34
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society
Re: Kids Program - What's yours like?

When we discuss self-defense against adults with our kids, the #1 message is "run." We show some ways to avoid being held, but I think the only thing we teach that will really help them is that they have a right to get away and should do so as soon as they sense something is wrong.

I think the more important lessons are about dealing with other kids. Taking turns being uke and nage is very powerful: it gets across, after a while, a message that there is no top dog and no bottom dog, everyone has to be willing to take whatever they dish out. We actively say to the younger kids, "Don't hurt him! Remember, he will be doing this to you next!" and while that is very basic, even crude, it's also an important lesson.

We also say, "Your uke is trusting you with his body so that you can learn. You have a responsibility to treat him well." The degree to which the kids are trustworthy with each other increases dramatically around yellow belt. It's good to see.

A final point that seems very practical: we talk a lot about "extend ki to partner" and one of the things that can mean is "Don't carry yourself like a bully or a victim." One of the kids' instructors is a great mimic, and makes them laugh by showing exaggerated body language--he has a hangdog way of standing that really makes me, as demo uke, want to hit him. Then he contrasts this with a confident friendly demeanor, and the difference is very clear.

Mary Kaye