View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 11:20 AM   #8
Nicholas Eschenbruch
Dojo: TV Denzlingen
Germany
Re: Release of Hidden in Plain Sight

So every couple of years I find a notice in the mail that a US parcel could not be delivered and has to be collected from customs, upon presentation of a paypal receit and my passport. It's always a notice I have been looking forward to. So I hop in my car before work, customs open early, and drive out to some grey industrial area where our custom office resides. The officers there all have nondescript short beards which they had long before beards were fashion, and which they still will have long after. No uniforms actually. Nondescript polo shirts. They know nobody can get to them in any way, so they have time to be meticulous, and polite in a sort of emotionally neutral way. Things proceed slowy. I present my papers and ask what I can do to avoid this ritual next time -- not that I really want to, but I just wonder. The guy says Americans just dont seem to be able to issue proper bills with their parcels. I shrug and receive mine, then pay value added tax at a different counter. On my way back o the car I cant help smiling. I have another book by Ellis Amdur to look forward to.