View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 05:41 AM   #48
MrIggy
Dojo: Aikido Klub Tisa - Novi Sad
Serbia
Re: Escape from ikkyo ??

Quote:
Aleksey Nikolaevich wrote: View Post
For example, Aikido philosophy dictates what is done from the moment of kotegaeshi throw. You could step on uke's neck, but you don't, because that's not "the art of peace".
What happens after the "throw" is mostly what your instructor taught you to do. "Aikido philosophy" has nothing to do with that. For instance I've been shown how to kick uke in the head as one of the options. And that's something that my instructor was taught by the Japanese instructors etc.

Quote:
You could transition into an armbar, but you don't, because Aikido's philosophy is based around fleeting engagement, where you don't get entangled. It values unreliable kneeling pins over ne-waza controls, because it prioritizes freedom of movement.
First, why would you transition from a superior position to a position where you have to use your whole body weight and movement to hold down one of uke's limbs? If the dude has a weapon in the hand and that's your only means of getting it out then fine. Perhaps even pinning him while backup comes along but I know several better options for that. Second, the knee pins aren't unreliable, it's how you use them that's reliable or not otherwise cops wouldn't use them all the time. Anytime you see a cop using a full body katame waza technique on somebody he either made a mistake or that's the last line of defense (meaning he made a mistake in the first place).

Quote:
What do you do after irimi nage? Do you pin uke down, hit him? Nothing. Are you ever allowed to choke uke? Nope.
In iriminage you already have hits aka atemis installed in the technique. As for what you mentioned, you realize that at higher levels (black belt levels) you have variations that contain what you just wrote? Although I don't like the fact they aren't emphasized earlier

Here's one from the NY Aikikai, starting at 1:15 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05hBVD0tHgg

Quote:
There is a clear difference between an escape and a reversal. Escape ends the encounter, reversal continues it, but shifts the balance of power.
What I asked was which dojos make a difference based on "philosophy" and how do they actually do that. For the record, one on the counters I learned for iriminage was ippon seoi nage.

Last edited by MrIggy : 09-12-2019 at 05:44 AM.