Old 09-28-2004, 12:46 PM   #7
suren
Dojo: Aikido of Silicon Valley
United_States
Re: Mind dumbness vs activity in randori

Thanks all for your answers.
Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote:
Does that make sense? Sometimes its hard to express what's in the head in words to be read. Its much easier to just dance than to attempt to describe the dance.
Mr. Lynn, your answer makes a lot of sense. Very difficult to analyze, but I'll try. In short as I understand this is a blending and timing exercise which creates appropriate conditions for upper mind not to be worried about the attacker and at the same time be aware of the outside world. When you started blending with your partner before the actual contact upper mind is much less worried because you are already performing technique and he doesn't have to figure out "what to do")... Did I screw up the idea?
Anyway I have to practice it to really feel what's it about.

Quote:
Tim Jester wrote:
I practice randori very slowly so I can feel where the motion is going.
I'm on auto pilot, but very aware of my surroundings like walls chairs people etc.
Tim, that's the exact condition I want to reach. From your response it's not very clear what brings you there. Is slow phase randori that helps you to reach that state of mind or some other practice?
The problem with slow randori method is it gives you more time to deal with attack which may mask out the problem - your upper mind may be still working. Giving it more time to think and worry less does not solve the problem.

Mary, I think practice with closed eyes is very interesting and helpful experience, but the problem is that your mind works way too differently when you see what's happening and when you don't. In such different conditions I'm not sure if that's the best way to learn how to deal with that problem.

Excuse me my criticism and hesitation. I really appreciate your responses and my comments can be completely wrong.
I have to practice all of them before expressing any ideas, so please give me some time to try. And thank you for your responses.

Last edited by suren : 09-28-2004 at 12:53 PM.