View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 09:13 AM   #291
Chris Lacey

Dojo: Aiki Institute of Spokane Roshinkan Aikido Dojo
United_States
Re: Training: Separate the Sexes?

Quote:
Joseph Connolly wrote: View Post
Well many, including myself, have had very different experiences. But I think the issue usually arises from size and not sex.
I think that is my point. Everyone is different. However, it is up to the experienced to help instill things like self confidence in anything that a person chooses to pursue. Size has nothing to do with it. A short 115 pound woman can still fling a 6 foot 230 pound guy around. I personally believe that what's lacking are more positive role models of both genders. There is a lot of ambivalent sexism going on out there and sadly, that is slow to change.

I won't even go into the Social Psychology angle as there are more qualified people here to discuss things like Social Cognition, Social Roles and Status and Stereotypes.

Quote:
Joseph Connolly wrote: View Post
Actually, if a guy comes at me with a knife and I am able to disarm him, I am probably going to make him pay for it. Whereas a woman, who is statistically likely to be smaller than me, who is attacking me, I'd most likely just try to retrain after a successful disarm.
That is interesting! So you would make a male "pay" for the knife attack and not the female. That is an interesting (and common) hypothetical response. Why not restrain both?

The whole point of my stand on the issue is to encourage us to evaluate the reasons behind their gender role beliefs and perhaps break out of certain social group mentalities.

Personally, I think we all would benefit in "easy bake ovens" for boys. Then, maybe more future bachelors could learn how to cook!

(yes..I realize that I am fostering the stereotype that bachelors can't cook.. )

{edit}
Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
And that could get you killed. Truth is, you do what you have to, and live with the consequences.
Ron has a good point. Just because your attacker is smaller than you Does not mean you should under estimate them!
{/edit}

Be safe and Be well.

Chris

Last edited by Chris Lacey : 03-19-2008 at 09:16 AM.

--------
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
--------