View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007, 01:13 AM   #14
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel
Re: What's my technique?

You ask an impossible question. Aikido techniques are adapted to specific situations, recognized by position, directions of power, momentum, and intentions (depending on your own level).

Without an exact description of all the above. One could only throw meaningless technique names at you. And you will likely not be able to apply any of them.

There is a reason we learn to be soft and harmonious in Aikido - the technical family we learn - locks and throws, is nearly impossible to apply, unless you are soft and harmonious. Locks and throws are techniques of opportunity, each ideally suited to a slightly different situation. To apply them, one has to be good enough to identify the opportunity before it is really apparent, and apply the technique. There should not be any visible preparation for the technique, so the other would not be able of realizing the trap is about to spring, otherwise he would evade your technique before hand (by resisting the preparation or changing the situation). And you should keep your mind open to any changes in the opportunity, and apply the appropriate action immediately.

A strong Atemi, is a way of giving you a slight edge, since his reactions would likely be slower and more predictable. A good Kuzushi is very efficient in achieving this too (and Atemi could gain Kuzushi). Further, once you started applying a technique, you should know the common ways of resisting to it and be ready to utilize those in another movement (some Aikido technique are actually built this way, such as irimi-nage and Shiho-nage).

I know this answer does not help you. Had you been able to do the above, you would not have had all those questions. And let me clarify, I do not claim to be able to this either. At best I have succeeded a few times, in friendly free-play Korindo Randori in slow to medium speed.

In truth, the ability of really acting in the way I described above under duress, is not common, and we consider those who can do it as masters of their M.A. (be it Aikido or any other, the concept is not unique). Yet, this is not the highest level of M.A. mastery, to my current understanding, that would be controlling the situation before hand and making the other follow your lead (he may think he is attacking, but in fact he responds to your “invitation”).

Amir