View Single Post
Old 07-12-2007, 04:28 PM   #1078
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States
Re: Aikido does not work at all in a fight.

Quote:
Roman Kremianski wrote: View Post
Fact is: I have never seen an Aikido techniques performed against a jab. Or a solid cross. This leads me to believe Aikido is best used on untrained people who lunge at you with their attacks. Hence why we always step in with shomen/yokomen/tsuki...
The challenge with a jab is that it doesn't hang out there; it retracts almost immediately. This is an issue for many systems, not just Aikido. Personally, I haven't had anything Aikido-esque pop out during sparring, but then how does Aiki manifest in that situation? I don't know, but it challenges my imagination and it's a long term project of mine.
Quote:
So did the many Karateka who challenged the Gracies. It's a shame their hard kicks and punches weren't possible on the ground.
True. But would you want one of them to hit you while you are standing up?

Let's remeber something aboutthe Gracies: Royce was not some punk off the streets of Rio who coould take on all comers after a handful of BJJ lessons. He is someone who has devoted his life to training in his family's art; he is very good at it. Taking down karate black belts doesn't mean those guys suck; it means he is very good. But I would not want to hop in the ring with any of the guys he beat because I know I would get killed!

Like I keep saying about high kicks: I agree with all the problems with them. Yes, there are a million and a half ways to counter them. But do you still want one to hit you? I am not keen on havin someone's foot hit my noggin at 75 miles an hour .... and my Jun Fan teacher has clipped me with enough crescent kicks for me to know they can be delivered.

So, raise your hands if you want to hop in the ring with anybody Royce beat ..... and post an address we can send the flowers to.