View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 05:07 AM   #14
MrIggy
Dojo: Aikido Klub Tisa - Novi Sad
Serbia
Re: The Disillusionment of Aikido Video

Quote:
Rupert Atkinson wrote: View Post
Actually, I disagree 100%. Words are important. You have broken the concept of aiki into its constituent parts. Aiki is the target. Terms like 'union of ki' make it sound mysterious and prevent learning. You could break the word 'broadcast' down to its components to explain its meaning, but there really is no need so no one ever does. Some might get mixed up and 'cast the broad' and get rather lost. It's there in the name, hidden in plain sight: Aiki-do. I say, stick with that and use it. It is simply, The Way of Aiki.
And there are several ways to actually understand what "Aiki-do" is supposed to mean. Reconciliation of "Aiki" first in our own body ("Aiki body"), reconciliation between ourselves and others, some say that this is actually Aiki (Ai - Ki) reconciliation of different Ki's, or simply using your body as an "Aiki" vessel to reconcile other with the "Aiki powers", which in that case means you can use other objects as well (AikiKen, AikiJo).

Quote:
We have to use our Aikido syllabus to learn aiki. Our focus should be on what aiki is and how to learn it through the techniques.
Everybody says that trying to learn "Aiki" through techniques or waza is a waste of time or as Yukioshi Sagawa put it, for amateurs.

Quote:
The waza are the 'means', but for 99% of people, the waza are the 'end'. There is nothing else. Everyone is graded on waza, for example. A higher grade just = more waza. They think, "I know more than you."
A higher grade isn't supposed to be "just more waza" it's supposed to be more proficiency in the knowledge and use of principles with that waza. But that's another topic.

Quote:
Some schools have ki-no-nagare but they are usually just another bunch of waza that people perform in unison like robots (foot here, hand there, etc.).
"Techniques in movement" is essentially "ki no nagare" in the understanding of that term in those dojo's.

Quote:
We should unify what we do. What you learn in one place should reinforce what you learn in another. Your ikkyo should reinforce your irimi-nage etc. What you learn in shiho-nage should reinforce every other waza etc. We should isolate common principles (ideas) and put them in everything. I rarely see that.
Like the use of tenshin and kaiten movement in many techniques?

[quote]And that is still just at the level of [i]waza[/I]. Some people have found some aiki through extended training - but it is all accidental. They do not understand it even though they can do it a bit so can not teach it. Nor can they develop it because they don't know exactly how they got it. They hit on one idea, then everyone has to follow ... but it fails to reproduce. Was that extended training waza training or other solo exercises like the one Rinjiro Shirata taught to certain people?

Last edited by MrIggy : 09-04-2017 at 05:09 AM.