View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 06:16 AM   #92
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: O sensei and 'correct ukemi'

Quote:
That is that regardless of who holds what opinion, as a whole it is more important that at least we are holding discussions, civilly debating our personally-held points and cross training in open environments and via sincere invitations to come together and share rather than how it was in most dojos throughout the 70's, 80's and 90's. I am sure it is still as it was in many dojos today. Perhaps we can all agree that the ease of obtaining information and the ability to not only read the thoughts of senior practitioners on websites such as this one, but actually email these individuals directly through the internet has served our community well.
Thank you Shaun, that's me thirding...

I think it important to note that Shaun was one of the first to reach out specifically to me and invite me to meet one of his teachers, an experience that will always stand out in my aikido life. For him, these are not empty words.

Mark, I have been thinking about the role reversal of shite/uke that you spoke of above. I didn't quite get it at first...but the longer I mull it over, the more sense it makes, especially after training for an hour last night with a rather strong fellow. I'll continue to work that thought...it may resonate even more as I continue to struggle.

Best,
Ron

Last edited by Ron Tisdale : 05-22-2009 at 06:22 AM.

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)