View Single Post
Old 01-17-2015, 07:43 AM   #2
Malicat
Dojo: Suenaka-Ha Aikido of Bloomington
United_States
Re: injuries

Quote:
Pat Wren wrote: View Post
i have frequent problems with bruising of wrists, hands, thumb tendinitis from techniques being performed with vise like grips. I have tried wrapping wrists with boxers tape and wearing biking gloves with padding on top of hands. This has not prevented injury and I am discouraged. I am 1st kyu rank and a female age 65. I've also had neck injury and elbow tendinitis. i fear remaining in this dojo and more serious injury or continuation of same issues. Teachers aware but has not resulted in much help for me. The style is Iwama.
Have you talked to your training partners directly? We have a joke in my dojo that you can tell from my bruises if you are doing the technique properly, because I bruise so easily. But I have found it's easier to just deal with partners one at a time and explain that if they are having to grip me that tightly, they're probably already doing the technique wrong. Granted, my Sensei totally would have taken care of it if I asked him to, but for me at least, this is one of those situations where I would prefer to turn it into a training lesson.

--Ashley