View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 02:30 PM   #19
Stephen Kotev
United_States
Re: Aikido is not about fighting

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote: View Post
well, yes. I do mind.

I don't train in MMA, while I do know some people who are seriously involved in MMA it's not where I wish to spend my time. I have had discussions with them but I don't speak for them. I was stating how I see it and it really is meant just for contrast. The focus of my answer is on aikido which is the focus of your post not on MMA or any other competitive fighting art (eg. boxing) and what an individual may or may not think they are doing in that art.

maybe you are just playing devil's advocate, but if not this just indicates to me you really aren't even in the right ballpark about what aikido is. So you think Aikido is the jujutsu waza you are learning ? There are already plenty of essays on this site and elsewhere that spell it out. If you are just a beginner, I apologize if I appear to lack the patience to engage in an endless back and forth but the point you are attempting to make is neither new nor interesting.
Craig,

I see you too are playing devil's advocate.

Thanks for the clarification on your perspective of MMA. As you mention in our response I could also refer you to many other posts on Aikiweb that would demonstrate that most in MMA would not hold your characterization of them as accurate.

I do not want to turn this into an MMA vs. Aikido thread. I agree we have had too many of those. It is being referred to in this thread in response to George's orginal posting in another thread. I could easily exchange the term for another martial art such as Judo or Karate if you wish.

I don't understand the tone in your reply.

Quote:
So you think Aikido is the jujutsu waza you are learning? There are already plenty of essays on this site and elsewhere that spell it out.
I clearly stated that I was playing devil's advocate yet you seem willing to call me a beginner and state that this topic is neither new nor interesting. Do I need to reiterate again that I was playing devil's advocate?

FWIW I would be interested in you spelling it out for me.

Regards,
Stephen